Sometimes you come across a book that sounds interesting and starts out as so, but eventually leaves you a little disappointed. This book is one of them.
When I started reading I was immediately intrigued by the title. Why is there a particular sadness about lemon cake? What does that mean?While that question was eventually answered in the end, from about chapter 3-4 all the way to the end it just didn’t make much sense to me.
This novel tells us about Rose Edelstein’s ability to taste people’s feelings through the food they make. As she eats the food she can tell their emotions and from this, learn about hidden parts of their life. Besides this, we also read about her family and the current problems that are occurring in their life.
- I liked the overall idea of someone being able to tell people’s feelings through eating their food. It’s creative and unique.
- Another aspect I enjoyed about it was how the author kept my attention when writing about a particular family member’s troubles. She wrote this part very well and is one aspect I really liked, and is also one of the reasons of why I wanted to finish the book.
- The book didn’t make much sense to me. I felt like some parts were thrown in and unnecessary. Also, in some sections it seemed like Rose’s remarkable food tasting ability was kind of thrown in because it’s just “something that should be mentioned”.
- I was very confused as I finished reading this book. It seemed like what happened to a certain family member didn’t make much sense and just added some confusion and strangeness to the novel.
- I really, really, really dislike how there are no quotation marks in this book. I don’t know why they were left out or what seems to be a new thing to leave them out in dialogue, but because they were omitted it was very easy to lose track of who was talking or when one character interrupted another.
Final Rating: 3/5 coffee mugs
Overall, I found this to be a mediocre book that was a little confusing in some areas, but one with a unique concept. This book would be good for someone who’s looking to pass the time or just wants an easy read.